Lesson 6 The Ritual Impurity (Hadath) and The Obligatory Purificatory Bath (Ghusl)
The ritual impurity is of two kinds: Minor ritual impurity and major ritual impurity.
The minor ritual impurity is the occurrence of whatever invalidates the wudu', such as emitting gas, urine, or feces.
The major ritual impurity is the occurrence of any of the five (5) matters that mandate the purificatory bath (ghusl). These are:
1- Emitting maniyy,
2- Sexual intercourse,
4- Post-partum bleeding (nifas), or
5- Giving birth.
The integrals of the purificatory bath (ghusl) are two:
1- The intention, when the water touches the first part of the body. So one intends for example: “I intend to do the obligatory purificatory bath.” Or “I intend to remove the state of major ritual impurity.”
2- Washing with water the entire body, both skin and hair, even if the hair is thick. It is obligatory to take out the braids in the hair if the water does not reach all of the hair.
Recommended (sunnah) matters of the purificatory bath:
Saying Bismillah when starting the bath.
Making wudu' before performing the bath.
Rubbing the body parts.
Starting with the right parts.
Doing everything three times.
Washing one part before the previous one dries.
Making sure to wash the body folds, such as those of the ears.
Recommended purificatory baths:
· The bath for the two ^Ids (^Idul-Fitr and ^Idul-Ad-ha).
· Taking a bath after washing a dead person.
· Taking a bath after gaining consciousness or sanity.
· Taking a bath upon making Ihram for Hajj or ^Umrah.
· Taking a bath for entering Makkah, standing in ^Arafah, staying in Muzdalifah, and circumambulating the Ka^bah.
1. How many types of ritual impurities are there?
2. What is the minor ritual impurity? Give an example.
3. What is the major ritual impurity?
4. What are the matters that mandate a purificatory bath?
5. What are the integrals of the purificatory bath?
6. When is it obligatory to take out one's braids?
7. List some of the recommended matters during the purificatory bath.
8. List some of the recommended purificatory baths.
مواضيع ذات صلة